Pie Baking Contest
SHENANDOAH VALLEY APPLE HARVEST FESTIVAL
REGIONAL APPLE PIE BAKING CONTEST
Presented by the Rotary Club of Winchester
RULES OF PROCEDURE
1. Contestants must bring an apple pie baked and ready for judging. The pie must have been made by the contestant alone, using only fresh apples and a homemade pie crust.
2. Any variety of fresh apples may be used. You may not use canned or frozen apples.
3. The pie must have a homemade double pastry crust. The top crust must be in one piece. Lattice crusts are not permitted. You may not use a mix or a frozen pastry crust.
4. The pie must be baked in a 9”, clear (not smoked) glass pie dish.
5. The contestant’s recipe must be typed or printed on an 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper and may not contain the contestant’s name. Pies will not be accepted without an accompanying recipe.
6. Pies must be delivered to the Pie Judging Area under the pavilion across from the Whitacre Bldg. during the festival at the Frederick County Fairgrounds in Clear Brook, VA between 11:15am and noon. Pies not received by noon on the day of the contest will not be judged.
7. Judging will begin at 12:15pm and may be observed by friends, family, and the general public. Awards will be announced no earlier than 1:30pm. The time of the awards announcement will depend on when the judging has been completed and the scores tallied to determine the winners. Monetary awards will be made to the First and Second Place winners in both the student and adult categories.
8. Completed score sheets will be available at the close of the contest for each contestant who requests them. Please make certain that you take only those score sheets that are identified with your assigned number. This is the responsibility of the contestant.
9. All pie dishes must be picked up at the close of the contest. The Rotary Club is not responsible for dishes that are not retrieved by the contestants or their representatives.